Friday, November 25, 2011 - 0 comments

Black Friday

I'm trying to decide how I really feel about Black Friday. Don't get me wrong, I like a good deal as much as anyone. To me, my concern is more about the spirit behind Black Friday. Frantic, Hyper-Consumerism. Something's not right when people start camping out on the sidewalks of big-box stores 2 or 3 days ahead of time in order to get a shot at a big screen TV or laptop for 50% off. The thing is, after all the waiting, these froth-mouthed shoppers may not even get the prize.

I've participated several times in the 4 AM 'running of the bulls'. We've actually had very specific strategic approaches pay off rather nicely. But over the years as competition among retailers continue to raise the stakes and aggressive shoppers reach all-time lows in greedy tactics, I've decided to distance myself from this scene. The spirit of Black Friday is encapsulated and in full view when a California shopper actually pepper-sprays 20 c0-shoppers in order to get the jump on a good deal, or a shopper fires gun shots in a South Carolina mall just to thin out the crowd.

Don't we have enough? What is it that's on sale and at what price to motivate hundreds of thousands of shoppers to rush store entrances and many to act dangerously foolish? Happiness based on materialistic wealth is a scary pursuit. Eric Hoffer said, "There's never enough to reach a state of happiness, because the basis of this mentality is to always have more."

0 comments:

Post a Comment